Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hey people of the world,

So I'm new to this whole blog thing, but with my recent travels and love for food, it's time to explore my accounts and future places of interest. I left for Europe on September first of last year and was there until late December. I visited 9 countries, enjoyed many different cuisines, and learned a lot about food, culture, and lifestyle of these very distinct countries. Florence, Italy, the land of pizza, pasta, and gelato, was my temporary home.

Italy

My first night in Italy was exactly what I expected, pizza. A sausage, saffron oil, and stracchino cheese pizza was the perfect way to start the semester. As the days drew on, I had some very indescribable meals. Some of my favorite meals I had were at local Osterias and Trattorias ran by local Italians and their families. I can recall the first time I went to Zaza's Trattoria, I ordered the gorgonzola and truffle gnocchi. It was as good as it sounds. Of course complimented by house red wine, free bread, and free water (believe me, free water is essential), this meal could not be compared to by anything I had ever eaten. Another favorite of mine in Florence was Osteria Santo Spirito. Tucked in the corner of Piazza Santo Spirito across the river from me, it truly was a hidden gem. Gnocchi seemed to be a theme during my time there, so naturally I got gnocchi every time I went to Santo Spirito. Truffled and baked, it rivaled the dish from Zaza's. After dinner, it was always a short walk down the street to some of the best gelato in the world.

Everyday for lunch was a Pino's sandwich. If you have ever been to Florence, you know Pino (or at least someone Pino knows). Salumeria Verde opened at 10:30 and we were there everyday at 11 to get a sandwich, drink, and enjoy the good company of both locals and tourists. Many different types of meats, cheeses, veggies, sauces, and side dishes, it was the perfect lunch for college kids on a budget. Pino himself, the man. No more needs to be said about him. Always full of life and some Italian that I didn't understand, he made sandwiches that were out of this world (but, had to request for "abbrustolito" or extra crunchy bread).

Not only were the restaurants amazing but always the 4th meal locations (kabobs). It seemed like throughout Europe, on every corner, was another kabob shop. The best two in Florence were conveniently located next to our favorite bar and our favorite club. Istanbul kabob, across from Red Garter, was a must after a long night singing karaoke in the back of Red Garter and playing dirty jenga at Kakuya. Our other favorite was a small little joint behind our house next to Space Discoteca. We had no idea what name of it was, so the name just became "Space Kabob" to us. If you said Space Kabob, everyone knew what you were talking about. It seemed almost like clockwork that once we were over the club or bar or wherever we were that night, the next thing on the agenda was find a kabob, girls included. It seemed every night ended with a kabob. Usually around 3-4 euros, it usually was paid for in coins accumulated that night from buying drinks or from splitting the check at dinner. All in all, you can never go wrong with a kabob.

There is so much more to say about the great city of Florence but I will save it for a later time. Ciao for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment